Kenya Constitution bill of rights Chapter 4 describes health as an economic and social right which emphasizes that-“every person has the right to the highest attainable standards of health, which includes the right to health care services, including reproductive health.
Nyeri County will facilitate progressive realization of this right, within the constraints of fiscal space and priority interventions.
The Fourth Schedule of the Constitution assigns the county government responsibility for developing county health services, including:
- Management of health facilities and pharmacies at the county level.
- Ambulance services.
- Promotion of primary health care
- Licensing and control of undertakings that sell food to the public.
- Cemeteries, funeral parlours and crematoria.
A prosperous people in a secure, healthy environment, with a high quality of life.
To harness the hard working culture of the people of Nyeri and unlock their potential to achieve the highest standard of political, social and economic life by creating an enabling environment that promotes sustainable development.
- Eliminate Communicable conditions to lessen morbidity and mortality rates associated with such illnesses.
- Halt, and reverse increasing burden of Non communicable conditions
- Reduce the burden of Violence & Injuries
- Provide essential Medical services at various health facilities.
- Minimize exposure to health Risk factors
- Strengthen collaboration with Health Related Sectors in strengthening health services.
Health Facility status
|Level of service delivery||Number owned by County Government||Number owned by Faith Based Organization||Number owned Privately|
|Referral Hospital (Tier 5)||1||0||0|
|Hospitals (Tier 4)||4||3||3|
|Health centers (Tier 3)||107||17||0|
|Dispensaries (Tier 2)||228 (Private clinics)|
|Community Units (Tier 1)||251||0||0|
Name of the Hospital Location Ownership Contact
|Name of the Hospital||Location||Ownership||Contact|
|Nyeri County Referral Hospital||Nyeri Central||County||0724249693|
|Mt. Kenya Hospital||Nyeri Central||County||0722270955|
|Othaya Hospital||Othaya Town||County||0775672641|
|Mathari Mission Hospital||Nyeri Central||Faith Based||0729098324|
|PCEA Tumu Tumu Hospital||Nyeri Central||Faith Based||0720948474|
|Mary Immaculate Hospital||Mweiga||Faith Based||0723576106|
|Outspan Hospital||Nyeri Central||Private||0722696901|
|Karatina Nursing Home||Karatina||Private||0725825181|
|1||Nyeri County Health Services Ambulances||County||0717001649|
|2||Red Cross||Charitable Organization||0722774693/0720596661|
|3||Consolata Mathari Mission Hospital||Faith based Organization||0729098324/0203536939|
|4||Mary Immaculate Hospital||Faith based Organization||0723576106|
|6||PCEA TumuTumu Hospital||Private||0720948474|
Functions of the Department
- Coordinate the provision of preventive, promotive, curative, rehabilitative and palliative health services;
- Develop county health policies, strategies, laws and programs and coordinate their implementation;
- Liaise with regulatory bodies in the enforcement of norms, standards and best health practices
- Coordinate implementation of national health policies and laws at the county level;
- Coordinate public and private sector health programs and systems at the county level;
- Ensure compliance with norms and standards for health facilities and health services;
- Ensure the implementation of rights to health specified in the Bill of Rights, and more particularly the progressive realization of the right of all to the highest attainable standard of health including reproductive health care and the right to emergency treatment;
- Develop and implement measures to promote equitable access to health services to the entire population, with special emphasis on eliminating the disparity in realization of the objects of this Act for the minority, special groups, marginalized and disadvantaged populations;
- Manage day to day human resources under the Department;
- Facilitate capacity building and professional development for health service personnel;
- Promote public private partnership to ensure efficient and harmonious development in the common interest to work towards progressive achievement of the right to health;
- Oversee the management and governance of county health facilities and facilitating their development;
- License and control undertakings that sell food to the public
- Control the management of cemeteries, funeral homes and crematoria
- Develop county policies and laws for control of health risk factors and initiating relevant mitigating measures and programs in collaboration with other agencies;
- Ensure and coordinate the participation of communities in the governance of health services so as to promote a participatory approach in health care governance.
- Promote realization of health rights;
- Procure and manage medical supplies and commodities;
- Develop and manage the county health referral system including ambulance services;
- Ensure that the purpose of this Act and the principles of health services provided under section 4 are realized;
- Facilitate registration, licensing and accreditation of health service providers and health facilities respectively according to standards set by the national ministry responsible for health and relevant regulatory bodies;
- Coordinate and conduct high quality and ethical research and ensure dissemination of research findings;
- Coordinate health activities in order to ensure complementary inputs, avoid duplication and provide for cross-referral, where necessary to and from institutions within the county and between counties;
- Provide for the development, strengthening and expansion of a county health information management system;
County Executive Committee Member
Ibrahim Adan Eden
1. Health Finance and Administration.
- Human resource
- Project co-ordination and partner liaison
- Fleet Management
2. HMIS, M&E and Research.
- Health management Information system
- Health planning
- Repository of Health data
- Health research coordination
3. Health commodities.
4. Nursing, Reproductive Health and outreach Services.
- Immunization services
- Outreach and Beyond Zero campaign
- Family planning services
- Maternal Neonatal, Child Health
- Elimination of Mother To Child Transmission of HIV/AIDs (eMTCT)
- County community Ambulance services
- Nursing services
5. Universal Health Coverage and primary Health Services.
- Universal Health Services
- Health centers and dispensaries
6. Environmental Health Services
- Food hygiene and safety services
- Village and market sanitation
- Enforcement of Public Health laws.
- Community health services
7. Curative, Preventive and Promotive Health Services
- Laboratory services
- Imaging and diagnostic services
- Clinical and emergency services
- Occupational therapy
- Clinical nutrition
- Prevention and control of HIV and AIDs
- TB Program
- Malaria control
- Disease surveillance
- Non-communicable Diseases
- Community mental Health and addiction rehabilitation
|Project Title||Location of the Project|
|Construction Of Kitchen At Othaya Sub-County Hospital||Mahiga|
|Proposed construction of isolation Ward at Mt. Kenya Hospital||Rware|
|Electrical Works at Mt. Kenya Sub-County Hospital||Rware|
|Supply, Delivery, Installation, Testing and Commissioning of Sanitary Fittings, Plumbing, Drainage, Solar Hot Water Heating System and Fire Protection Services at Mt. Kenya Sub County Hospital||Rware|
|Construction of New Naromoru Level 4 Hospital(Main Works)||Narumoru|
|Supply, Delivery, Installation, Testing and Commissioning of Sanitary Fittings, Plumbing, Drainage, Solar Hot Water Heating System and Fire Protection Services at New Naromoru Level 4 Hospital||Narumoru|
|Supply, Delivery, Installation, Testing And Commissioning Of Two (2no) Lifts At Naromoru Level 4 – Hospital||Narumoru|
|Proposed Construction of Naromoru Level 4 Hospital (Electrical Works)||Narumoru|
|Supply and delivery of a 200 KVA generator set at Naromoru Level 4 - Hospitals||Narumoru|
|Purchase of Medical and Dental Equipment- Hospitals||County Wide|
|Purchase of an Ambulances||County wide|
|Construction of a toilet at Wamagana Health centre||Wamagana|
|Construction of sanitation block and fencing at Gatiko dispensary||Kirimukuyu|
|Renovation of Thaithi Health Centre||Kirimukuyu|
|Construction of sanitation block at kiaguthu dispensary||Chinga|
|Renovation and refurbishment of Gatura Dispensary||Mukurweini|
|Renovation and refurbishment of Amboni Dispensary||Mweiga|
|Construction of generator shed and refurbishment of store at Othaya Sub-county Hospital||Othaya Hospital|
|Renovation of morgue,kitchen & doctors call house||Mukurweini Hospital|
|Completion of accidents and emergency block||Karatina sub-county hospital|
|Completion of newborn unit block and theater||Karatina sub-county hospital|
|Completion of microwave shredder and power installation||County Referral Hospital|
|Renovation and Refurbishments at Bellevue Dispensary||Endarasha|
|Renovation Island Farm Health Centre||Kabaru Ward|
|Renovation Gatura Dispensary||Mukurwe-ini West|
|Renovation and Refurbishment -Gaikuyu dispensary||Iriani-Mathira|
|Renovation and Refurbishment -Kiarithaini Dispensary||Iriani-Mathira|
|Karogoto Dispensary -Supply of medical equipment||Kirimukuyu Ward|
|Renovation and Refurbishment-Munyange Dispensary||Mahiga|
|Renovation and Refurbishment-Kagere Dispensary||Mahiga|
|CASIC Work Plan||2020|
|Nyeri County Health Services Act||2015|