A properous people in a secure, healthy environment, with a high quality of life.
To harness the hardworking culture of the people of Nyeri and unlock their potential to achieve the highest standard of political, social and economic life by creating an enabling environment that promotes sustainable development.
Core values: Patriotism, Professionalism,Inclusivity, Teamwork, Integrity and Accountability
Click here to view some of the Department’s ongoing/completed projects and programmes.
|County Executive Committee Member||Chief Officer|
Mrs. Margaret Macharia
Directorate of Education & Training
Nyeri county government has put weight in support of education in all categories. However, the county government directly manages two categories of education within the county, that is,A dynamic multi-skilled youth adding value to self and society
- Youth polytechnics and ECDE
Youth Training and Polytechnics
Youth Polytechnics (YPs)
Youth Polytechnics (YPs) are institutions that offer training in vocational, entrepreneurial, ICT and life skills for employability.
The training targets primary school graduates and form four graduates and it provides education and training pathways for attaining lifelong learning through the Technical and Vocational Education and Training.
Youths are encouraged to enroll in these institutions to acquire the necessary skills.
Vision:A dynamic multi-skilled youth adding value to self and society
Mission:Empower the youth with appropriate and adequate skills knowledge and attitude to realize full potential for individual and national development.
- Training in entrepreneurship life and leadership skills.
- Training in vocational and technical skills.
- Registration of youth polytechnics
- Handle customers promptly, courteously and ensure professionalism.
- Disseminate accurate and reliable information on timely basis.
- Payment of merchants.
- Procurement of goods and services.
- Report on work plans, procurement plans, and performance contract.
Objectives and Mandate of Youth Polytechnics
- To enhance income generating activities in youth polytechnics (YPs).
- To provide YP graduates with start-up toolkits
Achievements of the Directorate 2015 – 2016
- Renovation of various ECDE centres
- Provision of teaching and learning materials and outdoor play equipment to 300 ECDE centres
- Provision of baking ovens to eight YPs. This is to boost YPs income for sustainability
- Provision of one desktop computer to seven YPs
- Provision of tools and equipment to Gachika, Rukira, Giathugu, Karatina and Othaya YPs.
- Conducted capacity building workshops for ECDE teachers in all the eight sub counties
- Conducted capacity building workshops for YP managers and BOMs
- Financial management Audit in all YPs done and recommendations made
- Recruited 2 Education and Training Officers in November 2015
- Applicants for bursary being processed. Over 5,000 financially needy students will benefit
- Identified 1 YP per Sub- County as Centre of Excellence and one County Institute of capacity building and technology dissemination
- New and vibrant YPs BOMs appointed