Today, accompanied by Nyeri Deputy Governor H. E. Caroline Karugu, CEC members and the Nyeri medical fraternity launched the Nyeri County Referral Hospital facelift project that I believe will change the face of the hospital forever.
The facelift project majorly focuses on refurbishment of key outpatient departments including; the General OPD, Casualty, Pharmacy, laboratory, gender-based violence center and the consultant’s/physiotherapy block. In implementing this project, my Government has adopted the labour contract model through engaging special interest groups in addressing the following works within a 21-day period:-
b) Replacing the asbestos roof
d) General repairs
e) Cabro-OPD entrance
f) Plumbing and electrical works(green economy)
g) Fixing of comfortable and modern seats in the waiting bay
h) Extension of the customer care and NHIF stations.
We believe that completion of these works will provide a more hospitable and patient-friendly environment in the spirit of blending hospitality with wellness. The project will cost the County in excess of Kshs 30 million upon completion.
Moreover, today also marks a day when we launch many other projects in the Nyeri County health sector aimed at improving service delivery.
1. Construction of a housing for a microwave that will be used for medical waste management across the County. The machine is already in the hospital awaiting completion of the housing.
2. Construction of an outpatient department at Mt Kenya Hospital as part of an extension program aimed at decongesting the County Referral Hospital.
3. Refurbishment and renovation of the mortuary in this County Referral hospital.
4. Construction of a supplies store at Karatina Hospital for effective supply chain management.
5. Construction of a new-born unit at Karatina Hospital to improve neonatal outcomes.
6. Extension of MCH and Renovation of Outpatient Block at Mukurweini Sub-County Hospital
7. Construction of an incinerator at Othaya Hospital for efficient and proper medical waste management
8. Construction of an access road to the new Othaya hospital and a sewer connection
9. Completion, equipping and operationalization of several rural health facilities across the sub-counties as part of improving access to health services.
To support these infrastructural developments, the County has procured medical equipment that will be distributed to our various health facilities. These include; laboratory equipment, dental equipment, specialized urology and laparoscopic towers, generators for power back-ups and general diagnostic and theatre equipment. This is aimed at building diagnostic capacity at our primary health care facilities as well as improving specialized care in our County hospitals.
Launch of The Nyeri County Referral Face-Lift Project On 30th May, 2018.