A properous people in a secure, healthy environment, with a high quality of life.
To harness the hardworking culture of the people of Nyeri and unlock their potential to achieve the highest standard of political, social and economic life by creating an enabling environment that promotes sustainable develoment.
Core values: Patriotism, Professionalism,Inclusivity, Teamwork, Integrity and Accountability
Click here to view some of the Department’s ongoing/completed projects and programmes.
Directorate of Education and Training
Block C 2nd Floor
A dynamic multi-skilled youth adding value to self and society
Nyeri county government has put weight in support of education in all categories. However, the county government directly manages two categories of education within the county, that is,
- Youth polytechnics and ECDE
Youth Training and Polytechnics
Youth Polytechnics (YPs)
Youth Polytechnics (YPs) are institutions that offer training in vocational, entrepreneurial, ICT and life skills for employability.
The training targets primary school graduates and form four graduates and it provides education and training pathways for attaining lifelong learning through the Technical and Vocational Education and Training.
Youths are encouraged to enroll in these institutions to acquire the necessary skills.
Vision:A dynamic multi-skilled youth adding value to self and society
Mission:Empower the youth with appropriate and adequate skills knowledge and attitude to realize full potential for individual and national development.
- Training in entrepreneurship life and leadership skills.
- Training in vocational and technical skills.
- Registration of youth polytechnics
- Handle customers promptly, courteously and ensure professionalism.
- Disseminate accurate and reliable information on timely basis.
- Payment of merchants.
- Procurement of goods and services.
- Report on work plans, procurement plans, and performance contract.
Objectives and Mandate of Youth Polytechnics
- To enhance income generating activities in youth polytechnics (YPs).
- To provide YP graduates with start-up toolkits
Achievements of the Directorate 2015 – 2016
- Renovation of various ECDE centres
- Provision of teaching and learning materials and outdoor play equipment to 300 ECDE centres
- Provision of baking ovens to eight YPs. This is to boost YPs income for sustainability
- Provision of one desktop computer to seven YPs
- Provision of tools and equipment to Gachika, Rukira, Giathugu, Karatina and Othaya YPs.
- Conducted capacity building workshops for ECDE teachers in all the eight sub counties
- Conducted capacity building workshops for YP managers and BOMs
- Financial management Audit in all YPs done and recommendations made
- Recruited 2 Education and Training Officers in November 2015
- Applicants for bursary being processed. Over 5,000 financially needy students will benefit
- Identified 1 YP per Sub- County as Centre of Excellence and one County Institute of capacity building and technology dissemination
- New and vibrant YPs BOMs appointed
Directorate of ICT
A.g Director -ICT
Block C, Second Floor
Creating efficiency in Internal operations and service delivery to the Public
The ICT docket falls under the department of Education,Sports,Science and Technology. The Mandate of ICT unit is to apply Information Technology to transform the Management of Nyeri County as well as her relationship with citizens and other arms of Government. The unit is charged with the responsibility of developing, maintaining and sustaining ICT systems within the County Government. This includes but not limited to development of automated application portfolios, network infrastructure and troubleshooting of these systems to ensure that they are operational at all times.
ICT systems are deployed to serve various public needs and will ultimately result in reduced corruption, increased transparency, greater convenience, revenue growth and cost reduction. All this will translate into operational efficiencies and effectiveness in customer service delivery.
The formation of a fully-fledged directorate is hereby proposed.
Road Service Delivery Areas
The ICT directorate mandate will have the following service delivery areas:
- Implementation and Management of Information systems.
- Management of Network and Communication Services
- User Support and Hardware Maintenance
- ICT Systems Security
- E-mail and Internet access
- ICT Capacity building
Objectives of the Department
- To enhance network connectivity within the jurisdiction of Nyeri county,
- To deploy ICT systems to improve on operational efficiency and effectiveness,
- To maintain ICT systems and ensure the infrastructure is secure for sustainable operations.
- Develop a repository of all council data for secure custody and ease of access and retrieval.
- To automate all county services in order to provide operational efficiency and effectiveness in customer service delivery.
- To electronically disseminate information for effective decision making.
- To create interactive website as information communication channel for exchange of views and opinions.
- To identify manual information silos in the county in order to provide a digital repository for county information assets.
- Provide effective technical support in the maintenance of ICT Systems and equipment and to ensure that they are in good working condition.
- To create an internal communication network service by developing an intranet/Extranet system where County information will be posted and accessed by all staff.