Located in central Kenya, it borders Kirinyaga and Meru to the East, Laikipia to the North, Nyandarua to the west and Muranga to the South.
Area (Km 2): 3,337 Km 2
Population Density: 208 people per Km 2
Accessing Nyeri Town. The major routes leading to Nyeri town are:
- Nairobi -Nyeri route via Karatina.
- Nairobi -Nyeri route via Othaya.
- Nakuru-Nyeri route via Nyahururu.
- Nanyuki -Nyeri route.
Mathira Constituency is one of the Six Constituencies in Nyeri County. It covers a size of 389 km² . The constituency borders Kieni constituency to the west, Mount Kenya forest to the north, Ndia constituency to the east and Mukurwe-ini constituency to the south.and has a population of 196,294 as per the 2009 Census. The Current are Member of Parliament is Hon. Rigathi Gachagua.
There are 2 Sub counties in Mathira Costituency namely:
Mathira East Sub county constitutes 4 wards:
- Iriani / Mathira
- Karatina Town
Some Strengths of Nyeri County include:
- Natural resources as forests, wildlife, minerals (stone, sand, Kaolin), livestock, pasture, water, medicinal plants
- Tourist Attractions as Mt. Kenya, Mt. Kenya National Park, Aberdare National Park
- Main Economic Activities include tea, coffee, dairy farming, milk processing farms, maize millers, agriculture such maize, potatoes, cabbage etc. ballast mining